Saturday, November 1, 2014

Why we do this: Part 2 - Ten dollars in my pocket

My Mom has been reminding me lately of some of the amazing things God has done for us over the years. This story has been handed down verbally for years. It's time we share it with you. May you be encouraged to have faith regardless of your circumstances and to obey the Lord even when it seems crazy!

Ten dollars in my pocket
By Doreen Babcock

1977 we found ourselves traveling the midwest, with our four children, in a wood paneled station wagon.  My husband, Eldon worked for an evangelistic team that held crusades. His job required us to arrive at the crusade location two weeks beforehand in order to train volunteers.



For reasons, I can't quite recall, it became necessary for the children and I to remain behind at a hotel while Eldon continued on about a half days drive ahead of us.  Eldon had already left when the hotel called to tell me that our room rental was required ahead of time.  The cash I had paid for it but left the children and I with ten dollars to spend on food for the next three days. 


With no way to contact Eldon I tucked the children in bed and knelt down to seek the Lord. To my surprise He impressed on my heart the need to put five dollars in an envelope and mail it to some missionary friends of ours.  This was not the answer I'd hoped to hear. 

The next morning I did as the Lord asked and walked to the nearest post box and put the letter in. A grocery store stood directly across the street. With tears in my eyes I took the hands of my youngest two daughters and encouraged my eldest two children to follow me. I thought we might be able to buy a loaf of bread and some peanut butter with our last five dollars.


Half way through the store, I heard a sweet voice calling me, "Doreen? Doreen Babcock is that you?"
Turning I saw a woman about my age who'd been part of a previous crusade in the area.  She hugged me and asked why I was here. I calmly explained that Eldon had gone ahead and we were staying at the hotel across the street. 

"Nonsense!" She exclaimed, "You are all coming to my house to stay with me!" 

She helped us gather our things from the hotel and loaded us all up in her car. When we arrived at her home, she fixed us a lovely lunch and then turned to me and said, "I hope you don't think me rude, but I wonder if you'd be in need of some clothing. I'm afraid I purchased some clothes a few months back and then went and lost a little weight. I just don't know what to do with them. Do you mind seeing if you'd like any of them." 

I was thrilled as I modeled her expensive suits and dresses for her. They all fit perfectly!

When her husband arrived home and found out everything that had happened he turned to his wife and said, "You mean to tell me you gave Doreen all those clothes and you didn't give her children a thing?"  He pulled out his wallet and shooed us all off to the nearest department store. 

That evening, I knelt beside my bed and praised God for all he'd done for us! 

Psalm 136: 21 
Give thanks to the God of heaven,
For his lovingkindness is everlasting.

The End

God's great love and provision for our needs is frequently demonstrated in the lives of those who serve Him with their whole hearts. If you are in ministry, I pray you will claim the verses above and rely completely on Him. He will provide!
Love, Joleen & Doreen


No comments:

Post a Comment