Wednesday, June 22, 2016

What if I don't want to make lemonade?

"When life gives you lemons make lemonade!" Such a cheery idea.

Sometimes, I just don't want to make lemonade!

Instead, I cry out like the psalmist:

Save me, O God, 
For the waters have threatened my life.
I have sunk in deep mire, and there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters, and a flood overflows me.
From Psalm 69

Can you relate? 
Have you felt like you're sinking in a deep mire with no foothold? 
A dear friend of mine and I were talking about this. What she said is so good, I asked her if I could quote her. Here's what she said, 

"I really feel like God not only knocks me to my knees in dependence, but takes me to the mat like a wrestler. Giving up control to let God lead is not easy. I often struggle tooth and nail, but he meets me where I am. Sometimes I waller in my misery. It is at those times I can't sleep and I am not much good for anybody. I think we often enjoy our times of self-pity. But God has made us for so much more than just sitting in the mud. We need to love and encourage each other through these times. It's the greatest commandment." 


When the sourness of life hits us hard, we can't just throw sugar at it.




My heart breaks for my friends who have known true suffering. Trying to make sense of their loss with sweet quotes is just silly. Here's a few ways well meaning friends try to help us make lemonade: 



"Good things come to those who wait."

"God is trying to teach you something."
"There's a reason for everything."

I love these dear friends, but I don't agree with them.

There may be a reason for everything, but that doesn't help me when I'm hurting. 
Jesus is the only one who can rescue me from the mire of self-pity. Jesus is the only one who can save me from drowning in my own tears. 
Jesus says, "Come to me my weary child and let me hold you. I will give you rest." (paraphrase mine)


It is Jesus who keeps me from turning sour. So, if you are sucking on lemons, don't try to make lemonade. Call on Jesus like the Psalmist. 

"You who seek God, let your heart revive.
For the Lord hears the needy."
From Psalm 69

Here's another:

"Let all those who seek you, rejoice and be glad in you.
And let those who love your salvation say continually,
"Let God be magnified."
Yet I am needy and afflicted; 
Hasten to me Oh God!
You are my helper and my deliverer;
Oh Lord, do not delay."
From Psalm 70

Oh, my dear friends, I am sorry for the sour things you are facing. I hope you will rest in the Lord and find that Jesus is all the sweetness you need. 

As always, I'm so glad we are ... 
... under the same wing.
- Joleen 











No comments:

Post a Comment