Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hosting a neighborhood party! Part 1: The Invitations

We are the Steels. That's not our house behind us. This is just one of the only pictures of the two of us without our kiddos. This post is about us. Well, sort of. It's actually about our neighborhood porch party! Come join us on this adventure as we launch bravely across the lawn to knock on the next door strangers door. We hope we won't be strangers for long.


About a month ago my somewhat introverted husband, Dave, said it bothered him to think that after three years we knew only two of our neighbors.  


He said, “God would have us be a light in our neighborhood.”

I said, "I am a light. I light candles every night on the front porch."



He said, “We ought to be in community with people who need to hear the good news.” 

I said, "There's like two thousand people on our front lawn every fourth of July for our church outreach event."



Then he said, “We should host a neighborhood party!”

I said, "We have "neighbors", they're really church friends, on our porch every week!"


My heart sank at the thought of what “we” would have to do to pull this off. However, after dragging my feet and complaining about the cons of this idea, I finally asked God what He would have me do.


Duh! 


As if God would say, “Why no Joleen, I don’t think you should reach out to your neighbors.” 

 
So, I set to the task of making invitations. Now, if you are reading this and thinking you will try this idea, let me tell you something about myself. I seem incapable of doing anything simply.  I would suggest going to the store and purchasing some blank invitations and hand writing your invitations. But here’s what I did.


I love to draw and so I went a little crazy with mine. I created a unique work of art for each invitation. I adhered them to the blank invitations.  


Here’s what the inside looked like: I printed this on my computer and adhered it to the inside of the invitations.  I did end up hand writing our names under the picture. I also wrote RSVP: and my phone number. I sort of forgot to put those two things on the invite. Ooops!


I purchased a large bunch of flowers from local grocery store.  Then I created small nosegays. 

nose·gay: "a small bunch of flowers, typically one that is sweet smelling"

I hoped this beautiful basket would help our neighbors feel curious enough to open the door for us. It actually worked! We met 10 of our 12 neighbors today!  


My husband and I walked to each neighbors house. He rang the door bell and did most of the talking. I offered the nosegay and invitation.  Every neighbor we met seemed delighted to make our acquaintance!


I am already looking forward to our party. I have some great ideas for making the evening beautiful and pleasant. Our party is not for two weeks though. You’ll have to come back then to see and hear how it all went. I can assure of one thing. There will be TEA! 



1 comment:

  1. OK, just read the post and saw the date. I love the "come get to know your neighbors" idea. I have a blue-and-white teapot with matching scripture cup I am dropping off for your collection, so when you find it on your porch you'll know where it came from. Love your spirit of hospitality, friend!

    ReplyDelete