Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The most influential and beloved woman in the church?

My dearest PW, Did you know that you could be the most influential and beloved woman in your church?   I'll be back shortly to share more with you regarding how this is possible. While I'm putting on the kettle for our tea, read this quote from a book written in 1950 by a PW with great wisdom. 



Okay, well that took longer than I thought. Sorry. But here I am.
My tea today is iced! 


My Senior PW stopped by yesterday to pay a visit. She came with this beautiful tea set and a couple of books written decades ago for Pastor's wives.  -Thanks Maggie!

The book Maggie brought me made us laugh with it's old fashioned titles and seemingly outdated ideas. However, I sat down today and really began to read through this little book. Honestly hoping to find something to make you all snicker at the preposterous ideas of our 1950 PW counterparts.


Instead, I found wisdom. 

The author, Carolyn, suggests we start out by faith to cultivate the virtues of love, sympathy, common sense and courtesy. 

How are we to do this? By actively being in the presence of God. We must seek His heart. Seek His will. Strive to obey His voice, even if the sacrifice is great. 

Before I can love others, I must first love God
In order give sympathy I must care for those in front of me. 
If I am to have common sense, I must think before I speak and learn wisdom from others and God
Courtesy is a behavior that requires a disciplined heart and an intention to care for the needs of others. 

Any woman of God should seek to cultivate such virtues. 
As a Pastor's Wife, I long to be trusted and loved. Yet, my influence and ambition for love should not be for my own glory or status. No, it must be for the glory of God. It must be for the love of God and his people. Only then will I become a worthy woman of God.

So, today, let's drink our tea and pray together for disciplined lives. Let's lift each other up in prayer and ask God to help us become women after his own heart. 

I found another Pastor's wife who read Carolyn's book. Go on over and see what she gleaned from it's wise old pages:



No comments:

Post a Comment