Saturday, September 6, 2014

Praying for others is like giving them a priceless gift.




Praying for others is like giving them a priceless gift. It’s even better than that. It’s like putting a deposit in their bank anonymously.  When you pray, really pray for others I believe the Lord hears and answers. 


I am sitting on my porch this evening as I write to you. And God is laying you one by one on my heart. So here. Have a cup of tea with me and enjoy this beautiful cool evening as we discuss what it looks like to really pray!





What should you pray for?


1 John 5:14
This is the confidence which we have before Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

I ask God for bold things on behalf of my friends. I pray for marriages to be restored, resolution of financial dilemmas and healing from emotional pain. I don’t stop there. I also ask for their faith to be strengthened and their hearts to be in such rhythm with God’s own heart that they beat in unison. I pray and believe that God will hear me? 

I don’t know where this faith in prayer came from. Well, yes, I do. Of course it’s God’s gift of faith that drives my prayers. 


How should you pray?

I Thessalonians 5:16-18
"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Pray without ceasing. I have prayed for some dear friends for years and years. When the marriages I prayed for fell apart, I sought God’s mercy and rescue of my loved ones hearts. When the financial dilemmas became chronic and unending, I lay my beloved sister at God’s feet and plead for strength and faith to endure.   When emotional darkness threatened to sink lives, I prayed for rescue and hope.


Why should you pray?


James 5:16

"Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much."

Because God does answer. 

When victories, no matter how small arrive, I celebrate with my friends. 
I tell them, “I’ve been praying.”


I encourage them to never give up hope. I speak truth into their hearts and share with them the treasure of abiding in the arms of Christ. 


I pray because it not only draws me closer to the Lord but it develops a deep love for my friends. Prayer has also brought wisdom to my lips. If I’ve been praying fervently for a friend, my advice is much different than if I’ve only said I would pray but didn’t really put the effort in to bring that friend to Jesus in an intentional way. 




Prayer also has saved my heart from the crushing blow of betrayal. No doubt the pain was atrocious. But it did not crush me. Instead, my prayers became pleas for healing in my own heart and for forgiveness and grace to be evident in my life.


So, I encourage you to pray. 

Pray like never before. 

Pray for people by name. 

Pray for people out loud. 

Pray right where you are standing. 

Pray before hanging up the phone. 

Pray before ending the text. 

Pray on the private message of Face Book. 

As a dear friend once said to me, “Joleen you must pray, pray and pray some more!” 

You will find it is like filling up a treasure box with valuable jewels. Each prayer worth more than gold or diamonds to the life of your dear ones. 


Prayer truly is like giving a priceless gift!
Here is one of my dear friends. She is an answer to many prayers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment