Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Hosting a neighborhood party: part 2 Getting ready


I will admit, I thought my husband was crazy for suggesting a neighborhood porch party. After all, we are in full time ministry and have so many Church things going on.  Silly, I know. But that's actually what I thought.  But, not anymore! Hosting a neighborhood party is the most significant, Kingdom minded thing we've ever done. 

In part one of this series,  I told you  how we invited our neighbors creatively. 
Here's the link if you didn't read that: 


Today, I'll show you how we got ready.  Since I am creative and have practically no left brain activity at all. Just Kidding! I had to find a way to make the to do list interesting. So, of course, I made it pretty! 



 Though the process of getting ready is unique to each person, there are a few things that I find make it easier. 

Tip #1. Bleach is your friend



I use my tea cups and tea pots alot. A-LOT!  It is only normal that tea, like coffee will stain cups and saucers. So you have two choices if you want them to sparkle! 




The first choice is to submerge all your stained cups and saucers in the sink. Add 1/4 cup of bleach and let sit for ten to fifteen minutes.  If you only have a few then fill each cup or tea pot with water and add a few drops of bleach to each. 


Tip #2  It's okay to buy scone mixes and boxed muffin mixes from your local tea shop.


My shop even carries Gluten free Scones! Here's their link:

Tip #3  Set up the tables and decorations as early as possible.



You can set out the coffee and cups ahead of time as well. 


I always buy fresh flowers and put them out early. Sometimes even the day before. This gives them a chance to open up and look the most beautiful.


Tip #4 Bake the scones and breads in the morning 


After they cool arrange them on your trays and cover them until party time. This is obviously a picture of them out on the table, but I had them all ready before noon. The same with the fruit, It can be washed, placed in bowls, covered and put in the fridge early in the day. 


Tip #5 Changing into something pretty is essential


I don't always remember to take my own advice. However, it is very wise to do your hair and make up and have your shower first thing in the morning. If you wait, hoping to have time later, you may not get it done and well..to bad for your guests. What good is all this beauty if the hostess is a wreck?  So, take the time for yourself early on. 


Okay, well that's about it for getting ready! Make your list, work your list and get ready to have a wonderful time! 

The night of the party will be the subject of the next post. I can't wait to show you how to make your evening a relaxing and wonderful success!


No comments:

Post a Comment