Monday, May 23, 2016

Potted Tree Branch DIY

This post does contain affliate links
I'm in love with these potted trees. They were so much fun to make. I started out with one and ended up making ten. 



Here's how you can make one or ten of your own! 

Gather discarded branches. We happen to have a brush pile on our property, so I just went to the pile and figured out which ones I liked. 

Spray Paint:




I covered a table with a drop cloth and laid all my branches out on it. I then proceeded to spray paint the branches three different colors. I used Krylon sea foam, vanilla and slate blue spray paints. Layering your paints give the branches a beautiful look. 

Spray Foam: 
This stuff is messy so wear gloves and goggles when spraying 




Once your branches are dry choose the ones you want to put together. Place them in plastic flower pot  Fill in around the branches with small pebbles. (warning: don't use soil as the caulk won't stick to it) 
Now spray caulk in and around the branches filling the pot 1/2 -3?4 full. Don't fill it completely or the caulk will expand and overflow. 


Above you can see my pots. The caulk has expanded and is holding all my trees in place. I did go in with a sharp knife and cut the dried caulk so it was level with the pot. You don't have to do this, but I liked the flat look best. 

Moss: 

The one on the left is sphagmum the right is reindeer moss.

So I tried reindeer moss and it was a disaster. I suggest Sphagmum moss or super moss. It's a brighter color and easier to work with. Just spread a generous amount of modge podge onto the caulked surface and press your moss onto it. 


Stick silk flowers into the moss and wrap your pot with burlap for  finished look. Or simply add some stones and leave it simple.

Lights and butterflies: 

I used battery powered mini white lights. I found them in the wedding section at Walmart. 

So I bought a pack of paper from Michaels that had birds, nests and butterflies printed on the cardstock pages. I cut them out and hot glued them into place. I also used some of the sphagmum moss to create little nests and hot glued those onto branches as well. 

The result was magical! 


For a simple look simply spray paint the branches and add the moss. 



No comments:

Post a Comment