Monday, May 23, 2016

Folding Screen DIY

Honestly, these are the cutest things I've ever made! I made two different folding screens for a women's event at church. But they would look adorable in a bedroom or on a porch or anywhere you like! 

Of course the girls that took pictures in front of them were the cutest of all. 





Here's the blue one. You can see it on stage behind the ladies


Because of time restraints, I did enlist the help of my husband. However, I'm confident you can do this on your own. It's so easy!

Here's what you need to make one screen. I made two screens, a blue one and a green one so I doubled everything on the list below.

You need:
A drill
Six - 24" long 1" x 3" pine boards
Six - 60: long 1" x 3" pine boards
Twenty four - 1 1/4" wood screws
Eighteen - 3/4" wood screws
four - 2" long hinges
Thick floral wire. I used 24 guage
Wire cutters
Behr Semi Transparent stain
Paint brush
Artificial flowers - 12-15 large stems for each screen. 


Step one:
Stain all the boards front and back. I used Behr Semi Transparent stain for a barn wood appearance. 
The potted trees in the background turned out super cute as well. Find out how to create them at: potted tree branch DIY. 

I made two screens so I stained one set blue and the other green. 


Step two:
Form a frame using two short boards and two long boards. If you are a perfectionist you can use a "square" to be sure everything is just right. This is one reason, I'm glad I enlisted my hubby. I would have just slapped it all together.




Do this step two more times until you have three frames.



Step three:

Attach your hinges. 



Be sure to think through how you want your screen to open. That will determine what sides you place your hinges. 

Step four:
Place the 3/4 inch screws along the top and bottom of each frame. These screws are for your wire.  If you want to use three screws across you'll have a fuller frame. I only used two as I wanted a light and airy appearance.

Step five:
Attach your wire to the bottom and top screws. Be sure to wind it around each screw securely so it will hold once it has extra weight on it.  here's a picture of how tall the screens will be. he's just under five feet tall.

Step six:
Adhere your branches or flowers to the wire. I used my remaining floral wire to attach the flowers. 




Since making these I've thought of two variations: 

#1. Attach chicken wire to the backs of each screen instead of just using wire. This would give you so many decorating options and create an awesome "fixer upper" style.

#2. Weave lights through the wires and have a lighted screen. I chose not to as the trees we made to put around these will be lighted. 

I hope you'll have a great time creating these. They were a huge hit at our women's event. We used one as a photo op back drop and the other up on the stage with the speaker. 

Here's my table. I'm the second on the right. 




1 comment: