Tuesday, February 23, 2016

HOW TO HOST A JANE & TEA CLUB

 "Do you like tea?" and  "What's your favorite Jane Austen story?"  If these two questions could keep you chatting for hours then this post is for you.
  


Several years ago, a dear group of women in PA started a Jane & Tea night. We would gather for tea and watch PBS renditions of Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility and Emma. A little Charlotte Bronte's, Jane Eyre and a dash of Dickens with Bleak House rounded out our year nicely. We felt Jane would understand. 

My original Jane & Tea club friends developed a love for tea parties and china. So much so, we would often meet at local tea shops to celebrate our birthdays. We even began purchasing a particular blue and white Spode tea cup for each other as it reminded us of those viewed in Pride & Prejudice. 

When God called my husband and I away from PA to IL,  my dear friends threw me a party and gave me an entire tea basket filled with Jane inspired items.  I treasure these items as they evoke golden memories of lively conversation, laughter and love. 



Perhaps, golden memories are best left to glisten on the shelves of our minds. I longed, however, for the connection Jane provided.  So I endeavored to start a new Jane & Tea club.

Since College Students are one of the groups we are blessed to serve, I've invited the girls to join me each Sunday night at 7:45 for a cuppa tea and an episode of Pride & Prejudice.  I hope to inspire them to all things lovely and provide a golden memory of their own. If you live local, you are welcome to join us! You do not need to be a college student. We'd love to have all ages reflected in our club! I think Jane would approve. 

If you would like to host your own Jane & Tea Club here are a few ideas for you:

#1. The Menu

Keep it simple but pretty. 
Tea is essential. Check out my Tea quotes page for some ideas!
fruit, and breads or cookies make a nice spread.

If you are hoping for the traditional scones and clotted cream you can find many scratch recipes on line but, I love these ready mixes. If you live local you can find these at Serene Teas downtown Wheaton.

#2. The Decorations

A spot of tea and a beautiful smile are all you need.  But if you're inclined to do more, I suggest a pretty tablecloth and a small bud vase of flowers.  


#3. Crafts

I love this book from my local book store. 
It's called So Jane: recipes and crafts for an Austin inspired life. It's full of great crafts and recipes. 
I also love the templates in the back of the book!


I have a few craft ideas of my own of course. Like mod podge and old music papers on letters we buy at a local craft store.  I think we'll make the word TEA. 
Here's an example of some ABC letters I did for my music studio

so there you have it. The last thing you need is great conversation starters. 
It's easy! Simply ask,  "Do you like tea?" and  "What's your favorite Jane Austen story?"

Visit Pastorswife101's profile on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment