Thursday, February 4, 2016

Creating an heirloom from your "art"

Few people know I have a degree in English Literature. During my undergrad years, I fell in love with Shakespeare, Wadsworth, Whitman and Dickinson. Yet, of all the famous literary figures, Emily Dickinson is the poet who most captured my attention and imagination. 

Emily's somewhat solitary life is folded up with the warm ideals of hearth, home and wandering over hills in the afternoon. It's said she kept many active correspondences and often enclosed poetry with her letters. She even hand bound forty volumes of her nearly 1,800 poems. She actually made them out of stationary paper that she folded and stitched together.

I love that. Even though she was not famous during her lifetime, she valued her own work enough to document it. This idea has inspired me. What will my children and grandchildren know of me? Yes, they may eventually own one of my three bibles with notes in the margins and drawings throughout.




But what about the other things I love like recipes and poetry and drawings? I guess, I could hope they'd find my FB files someday. But, I've decided to compile as many of these precious things into a notebook as possible.  I'm pretty sure no one will find them and try to sell them on ebay like Emily's  manuscript books  But, I do hope they will become a treasure of memories and thoughts for the next few generations. 

So here's where i've started. I bought a spiral bound multi-media book of paper. Multi-media just means you can use watercolor, pens or colored pencils. I've started with simply creating pages of my favorite birds and flowers. I plan on adding a favorite scripture verse or one of my original poems to some of the pages. 


One of my poems is inspired by Emily Dickinson's entitled HOPE.

Here is Emily's original poem: 

"Hope" is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops - at all

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm

I've heard it in the chillest land
And on the strangest Sea 
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of ME.


So, I'll keep you posted on this little project, though I suspect it will be lifelong. In the meantime, share your ideas about documenting your "art" how will you create an heirloom for the next generation of your family? Share below. I'd love to hear from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment