Saturday, September 27, 2014

Mentoring College Students

Invite some one over to bake with you! Yes, I highly recommend this activity.

Our church attracts a good number of Wheaton College Students. So, I invited a few of them over to my house this week to bake apple pie with me. We had such a wonderful time sharing and baking together! It felt like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. So in honor of that great artist, here's our pictures, put into a format you may find quaintly familiar. 
I think it's interesting that all the girls who came today had mothers or grandmothers who taught them the art of baking pie. This simple activity may seem outdated or even a waste of valuable time in our busy, fast food world. I believe that taking the time to be with other women in the kitchen holds more than just domestic value. 

BTW we did invite some guys to join us lest you think I believe only women should be in the kitchen!


 Here's one of the girls using my apple/peeler/slicer/corer - Best kitchen invention besides the oven!

The girls and I had a wonderful time talking about pies and baking. They also, introduced me to some new music. Let's see if I can remember the names: Jack Johnson's sweet song called I got you. And a darling song by Mindy Gledhill called All the Pennies. 


I love how this picture turned out. That's my Great Aunt's kitchen table. I'm sure it's had many pies assembled on it over the years.  That's Becky putting the finishing touches on one of our five pies!

So, why on earth would I suggest you invite some college girls or neighbor's over to bake with you? Because you need women in your life. You need  to laugh and talk and learn from each other. This is what it looks like to be in community with one another. Sitting in a pew or a bible study chair will not help you build lasting, meaningful relationships with other people. Take the risk and invite some new faces into your home for a baking day. You will find it to be deliciously fulfilling!





No comments:

Post a Comment