Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Pastor's Wife's First Sunday

Post #2


Hi, come on in and sit down for a bit. The tea is poured and my mom is ready to share a story with you. You’ll love her. She’s been a pastor’s wife for over 50 years. Her experiences will make you laugh, and encourage your soul.  So, here’s your cuppa tea.  We’re glad you’re here.
DSCN0042

First Sunday

By Doreen Babcock
October 12th, 1963. I married my husband that day. I could hardly believe this energetic, faith filled man of God loved me. Me, a farmers daughter, new to the faith and more than a little rough around the edges. But, God saw, and I believe he smiled at the amazing life of adventure planned for me.
My first Sunday evening as a Pastor’s wife I just about lost my temper.
Seven months pregnant and truly uncomfortable, I stood chatting with a parishioner.  A youngster walked over and gazed at my belly. He balled up his fist and punched me straight in the gut.
Without missing a beat, I grabbed him by the arm and hissed in his ear, “if you EVER do that again, I will break every bone in your body!”
Then I stood up smiling and continued my conversation as if nothing had happened.
Afterwards, I worried about my response. What if the lady heard me and complained? What if the little boy told his mother? I feared my role as pastor’s wife could be short lived. This would not be the first time I lost my temper with someone in the church.  I often worried that I’d be the cause of our financial ruin and we’d end up on the streets. I prayed God would help me to do better.
 Pastor’s wife classes, books and conferences did not exist in 1963. If they did exist, I had no way of finding them.  The word of God became my manual. I depended on it to help me navigate my own insecurities.
I frequently turned to Psalm 139 for comfort and instruction. If you have your bible, why don’t you turn there with me. Read it out loud while I catch my breath and sip my tea.
DSCN9968
Psalm 139
You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
50 years later as I reflect on my behavior of that first day, all I can say is, “Thank you Lord that you have brought me gently to maturity.”
My dear, if you are worried about your life as a pastor’s wife, take courage. If God can help this rough edged farmers daughter, He can help you. Turn to Him, stay in the Word and come back soon to chat with me. How can I pray for you? Let me know in the comments section below. My daughter and I will commit you to the Lord in prayer.
-Blessings, Doreen
DSCN0033

No comments:

Post a Comment